View Full Version : Tutorial: Running Ps2psxe from a usb stick

thehardykid
08-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Well, the title says it all. The tutorial for the Preview from the amazing ffgriever.

Requirements:
A usb stick - it should be formatted to fat32 (I did it with a 512mb stick - so most sizes will do)
Some way to boot from the usb stick - if you don't know anything about this, google Free McBoot.
Ps2psxe - this is the latest version out: http://www.psx-scene.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17357&d=1281560201
Radshell - ps2 command line. http://www.radad.110mb.com/software/ps2/radshell.zip
PSX Bios - I cannot give this out. You'll want either the PAL scph7502 bios for a PAL console or the NTSC scph1001 bios for a NTSC ps2.
A psx game - this isn't a tutorial on making images, so have a .bin or .img ready. YOU MUST OWN THE GAME.

The Method:
Step 1: Download and unzip all of the files to the root of the usb. Also, create a folder called 'game' in the root of your usb. You should have, on your usb drive, the following files and directories:

snap/ ------------\
plugins/ ----------|
mc/ ---------------|These files unzipped from ps2psxe .zip file
bios/ -------------|
ps2psxe.elf ------/
irx/ ---------------\
rom.rsh -------------|
reset.rsh -----------|
radshell.txt --------|
radshell.rsh --------|
radshell.elf --------|
net.rsh -------------| Unzipped from Radshell .zip file
mcx.rsh -------------|
mc.rsh --------------|
mass.rsh ------------|
hdd.rsh -------------|
dev9.rsh -----------/
game/ ------------------ You should have created this yourself
Also, inside you should "bios" directory, you should have a bios file (either scph7502.bin or scph1001.bin, preferably scph7502.bin)

Step 2:
Next, grab your game file (.bin or .img) and put it in the "game" directory you created. It doesn't matter where you put it, just for the ease of this tutorial, put it in the "game" folder. You can change it later.

Step 3:
Now, you're gonna edit "radshell.rsh" - that is the file that tells the command line program RadShell what to do when it starts up. Since you are probably going to want it just to launch ps2psxe, we'll add this line at the bottom of it:

run "mass:/ps2psxe.elf" -cdimage=game/asdf/asdf.binSo your "radshell.rsh" file should now be:

fontsize 0.6
border 2 2

store reset.rsh
store mc.rsh
store mcx.rsh
store irx/usbhdfsd.irx
store mass.rsh
store irx/poweroff.irx
store irx/ps2dev9.irx
store dev9.rsh
store irx/ps2atad.irx
store irx/ps2hdd.irx
store irx/ps2fs.irx
store hdd.rsh
store irx/romdir.irx
store rom.rsh

script int:reset.rsh

set prompt "$$CD>"
set RSH_DIR "$CD"
set reboot "run rom0:OSDSYS"
set reset "script int:reset.rsh"
cls
version
sleep 1
run "mass:/ps2psxe.elf" -cdimage=game/asdf/asdf.binIn this example, /asdf/asdf.bin is the path to your game. You can change it to whatever you called your game (e.g, you put a file in the "game" folder in the root of your usb drive called tomba.img, you would put run "mass:/ps2psxe.elf" -cdimage=game/tomba.img at the end of rasdshell.rsh instead.

If you have a NTSC tv, put a space then -ntsc at the end the line, like this:
run "mass:/ps2psxe.elf" -cdimage=game/asdf/asdf.bin -ntscStep 4:
That should be it. Turn on your ps2 and launch radshell.elf however you want.

If anything is wrong, please PM me! I got this working at 1 in the morning, and thought, how nice would it have been to just have a tutorial! I hope this helps someone!

Regards,
thehardykid

91jesus
08-19-2010, 08:51 AM
this is a really nice tutorial but i have a quesion what if i want to add more than one psx games on it should i just keep copying and pasting the last code like should i just copy more than one code at the end?

91jesus
08-19-2010, 11:40 AM
hey whats up me again i tryed this but my bin file cant seem to load and i did everything this tutorial when i try to run the ps2psxe its a black screen and when i run it by the radshell wordscome up but then it goes to a black screen? do you know why?

TATTOOZIT
08-19-2010, 01:19 PM
hey thanks thehardykid, Ill give this a shot when I can get my hands on a usb stick. sounds pretty simple...thumbs up to ya.

toozit

dlsmd
08-19-2010, 04:24 PM
hey whats up me again i tryed this but my bin file cant seem to load and i did everything this tutorial when i try to run the ps2psxe its a black screen and when i run it by the radshell wordscome up but then it goes to a black screen? do you know why?

it is possible that the game is not compatible try another game (remember this is just a public preview thare is no sound yet)

91jesus
08-19-2010, 05:40 PM
it is possible that the game is not compatible try another game (remember this is just a public preview thare is no sound yet)

yeah that probably is the reason when why..... i put dino crisis in the game folder i renamed it on the bottom of radshell then i went to my ps2 and tryed to load it there were letters but then it went to a black screen and my dino crisis is a bin file

thehardykid
08-20-2010, 01:40 AM
Well, in all honesty, every now and then it just doesn't work. That being said, you can look at your flash drive and see if the transfer light (if it has one) is flashing. If so, the game is loading. If not, try putting the game in a different location, and wrapping quotes ("") around the games location and put mass:/ at the front of it; i.e:
-cdimage="mass:/game/asdf/asdf.bin"
Good luck!

EDIT: I was playing around and a game wasn't working - you know what it was? I put a slash at the beginnig of the -cdimage switch. Remember, file names don't start with a slash! Lol

AnEmack
12-13-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm having difficulty with my radshell script. When I load everything, the program always tells me mass:/ps2psxe.elf not a real elf and then it just sits there. Here is the code I put into my radshell.rsh script:

fontsize 0.6
border 2 2

store reset.rsh
store mc.rsh
store mcx.rsh
store irx/usbhdfsd.irx
store mass.rsh
store irx/poweroff.irx
store irx/ps2dev9.irx
store dev9.rsh
store irx/ps2atad.irx
store irx/ps2hdd.irx
store irx/ps2fs.irx
store hdd.rsh
store irx/romdir.irx
store rom.rsh

set prompt "$$CD>"
set RSH_DIR "$CD"
cls
version

run ps2psxe.elf -ntsc -cdimage=game/Colin.img

So far the only way I can get it to work is by typing this after mass:>
run ps2psxe.elf -ntsc -cdimage=game/Colin.img Which doesn't make much sense given the same thing is smack dab in the script I created...

dlanor
12-15-2010, 02:56 AM
One known problem with radshell and USB mass storage is that when return is made from the script command that loads the mass storage driver (USBHDFSD.IRX is the best one), the device driver is still performing its initialization, and any access attempts made before that is completed are doomed to fail. The time required for this initialization can vary greatly depending on the USB drive you are using.

I usually solve this problem by adding some dummy 'echo' commands to the script, between the point where the IRX is launched and the point where I start to access anything on the "mass:" device, just to add some needed delay.

Best regards: dlanor

noetikos
12-18-2010, 01:43 AM
@hardykid

its good to see that PS2psxe has been moved along further. i might give it a shot soon :)

AnEmack
12-18-2010, 05:55 PM
I usually solve this problem by adding some dummy 'echo' commands to the script, between the point where the IRX is launched and the point where I start to access anything on the "mass:" device, just to add some needed delay.

Thanks for info. Would you be able to post a code example of what you mean by "adding some dummy 'echo' commands" if possible?

dlanor
12-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks for info. Would you be able to post a code example of what you mean by "adding some dummy 'echo' commands" if possible?
Here is a (slightly modified) example of the kind of script I have used to solve this need for delay between USB driver initialization and the first reference to USB content using the newly loaded driver. This is from a script specific to launching CD1 of the RPG 'Chrono Cross', as can be seen from the final filename. But the general principle applies to any use of USB drives from radshell, regardless of whether ps2psxe is involved or not.

fontsize 0.6
border 20 20
iopreset

load rom0:SIO2MAN
load rom0:MCMAN
load rom0:MCSERV

load int:iomanx.irx
load int:filexio.irx

load mc0:/SYS-CONF/USBD.IRX
load mc0:/SYS-CONF/USBHDFSD.IRX

cls
echo USB driver init countdown 4
cls
echo USB driver init countdown 3
cls
echo USB driver init countdown 2
cls
echo USB driver init countdown 1
cls
echo USB drivers initialized

echo Launching Emulator
run ps2psxe.elf "-cdimage=mass:/ISO/Chrono_Cross_US/Chrono_Cross_US_CD1.bin" -xoff=40
As you can see I've just inserted a series of script statements to clear screen and write some countdown values on it, to ensure a sufficient delay for USB driver initialization to be completed, before the ps2psxe elf is loaded and the CD image it uses is mounted, both from the same USB drive where radshell and this script were also launched.

Those two launches (radShell and script) used USB drivers loaded by uLaunchELF, which were then invalidated by IOP reset of radShell, which is why new drivers had to be loaded by the script before starting the emulator and having it load a CD image.

The number of cls+echo statements needed to achieve sufficient delay will differ for different USB drives, so you may need to experiment a bit to get it right.

AnEmack
12-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Great! Thanks a ton for providing a detailed explanation.

washasat
01-17-2011, 04:09 PM
dude i have a probleme i'm runing crash bandicoot . it works but without sound and horrible fps the quality is a bit bad ( even with HD ) please is there any way to make to game work perfectly ??

JNABK
01-17-2011, 05:52 PM
This is not the "real" program, as it has not been completed as yet. This is just a "Preview" made available from the author to let you see how it will work.

The author has already said he knows about the sound and fps, but everyone will just have to wait until he finds time to continue the project.

carl88
01-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Pls help me What is the correct code?
Always black screen.

JNABK
01-25-2011, 02:22 AM
Pls help me What is the correct code?
Always black screen.

Check the first post, as everything is pre-written as a guide for you to follow. All "correct codes" can be found there. ;) .....unless you meant something else.....

saltydogs
09-13-2011, 11:53 PM
Hello-

I just downloaded the newest version of PS2PSXE and can't launch it.

I have this as my radshell script:

fontsize 0.6
border 2 2

store reset.rsh
store mc.rsh
store mcx.rsh
store irx/usbhdfsd.irx
store mass.rsh
store irx/poweroff.irx
store irx/ps2dev9.irx
store dev9.rsh
store irx/ps2atad.irx
store irx/ps2hdd.irx
store irx/ps2fs.irx
store hdd.rsh
store irx/romdir.irx
store rom.rsh

set prompt "$$CD>"
set RSH_DIR "$CD"
cls
version
run mass:ps2psxe.elf -ntsc -cdimage=mass:/game/SILENTHILL.img -bios=mass:/bios/scph7502.BIN -nofps

When I run radshell, it keeps telling me "ps2psxe.elf not an elf file." I have the elf files in the root of my USB, so I removed the "/". What am I doing wrong?

eldogbbhed
09-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Hello-

I just downloaded the newest version of PS2PSXE and can't launch it.

I have this as my radshell script:

fontsize 0.6
border 2 2

store reset.rsh
store mc.rsh
store mcx.rsh
store irx/usbhdfsd.irx
store mass.rsh
store irx/poweroff.irx
store irx/ps2dev9.irx
store dev9.rsh
store irx/ps2atad.irx
store irx/ps2hdd.irx
store irx/ps2fs.irx
store hdd.rsh
store irx/romdir.irx
store rom.rsh

set prompt "$$CD>"
set RSH_DIR "$CD"
cls
version
run mass:ps2psxe.elf -ntsc -cdimage=mass:/game/SILENTHILL.img -bios=mass:/bios/scph7502.BIN -nofps

When I run radshell, it keeps telling me "ps2psxe.elf not an elf file." I have the elf files in the root of my USB, so I removed the "/". What am I doing wrong?

Get the newest version- it comes with a LAUNCHER menu elf that works well, and IT HAS SOUND!!!