View Full Version : USB + Codebreaker: my PS2 won't read the USB flash

coco-dess
03-05-2009, 08:38 AM
hi guys, i want the benefit of Free McBoot, but before that,
there should be a way to launch it, and its by using the uLaunchElf
and to launch uLaunchElf, there should be like Codebreaker to launch it,
since its only i have and there's a tutorial of it here in SKSAPPS.

i have done what is described on the tutorial,but here's the scenario:

i plugged in the USB flash during standby and booted up with Codebreaker.
but nothing happens.

next is i tried booting up with Codebreaker first, and when im in the Codebreaker menu,i plugged in the USB Flash, and i've gone to the Device Manager, but only the MEMORY CARD is detected.

i also tried plugging in the USB Flash and then booting up a game,
the game loads perfectly.

why can't my PS2 detect the USB Flash?

but i also tried plugging in an MP3 player, the player is detected because the battery bar shows it is charging.

do the USB Flash need a USB Flash Driver?

or there are files that should be present on the flash?

how about this one?

http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/codebreaker/01.JPG

this is the figure on the tutorial,
do the files showed here should be present on my USB flash?

please help, i wanna transfer my saves to my PC. thanks

greyfox
03-05-2009, 08:57 AM
what is your ps2 version , scph ? see at your console

djflexmaster79
03-05-2009, 09:07 AM
damn dude.......... Change that color on that post.........

If your asking for help, make sure the people you are asking can read your question ????

Not all USB drives are compatible with codebreaker, then again some of them you have to unplug right after you launch an .elf. Read over the tutorial in my signature again. It does work.....DJ

coco-dess
03-05-2009, 09:56 AM
what is your ps2 version , scph ? see at your console

my PS2 version is SCPH-9000x, i've red whats on the tutorial,
i pursued because someone said their SCHP-9000x works with FMCB.
the issue is that the codebreaker should be able to read the USB flash.
its a standard USB flash.

why does my MP3 player detected by the PS2? maybe it needs something.

goth1k
03-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Ive read that codebreaker cant read any usb device on the later slim pstwo models. If im wrong im sure someone will put me right on it

coco-dess
03-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Ive read that codebreaker cant read any usb device on the later slim pstwo models. If im wrong im sure someone will put me right on it

what about the latest codebreaker? will it work?

what do you think?

Bootlegninja
03-05-2009, 03:45 PM
won't work. all versions of codebreaker use the SAME usb driver.

greyfox
03-05-2009, 03:52 PM
yup you right that why i ask his ps2 version

what about the latest codebreaker? will it work?

what do you think?
if your ps2 SCPH-75001 or higher no they never will update usb driver for codebreaker
read this
from codetwink

Check your drive. If you have any folders on the drive, back them up to your computer, delete them from your drive, and try again. On some drives, having folders on them seems to prevent the CodeBreaker from reading it correctly.
Try reformatting the drive. CodeBreaker version 7 only supports FAT16 (a.k.a. just plain FAT). CodeBreaker version 8 and up supports FAT16, FAT12, and FAT32. FAT16 is a good catch all.
You may have an incompatible drive. Check the compatibility list above. You may want to post asking if anyone has the same drive. Somebody else may know a trick to get it to work (some drives will only work if you hook up a powered hub, for example). If your USB drive is incompatible, there is nothing that can be done to make it work. A new CodeBreaker version may increase compatibility, but not necessarily, and the period between major versions is about 6-12 months. Your best bet is to exchange the drive for one that is known to be compatible.
If you have the latest PS2 Slim Model (SCPH-75001 or higher): Sony has made some key modifications to this revision of the PS2. It seems that the changes they have made to the USB hardware have rendered the CodeBreaker's USB drivers inoperable. This is likely due to use of a newer and probably cheaper chipset. The change does not seem to effect software that uses Sony's USB drivers, but Pelican's home-brew drivers do not operate (Pelican cannot use Sony's drivers for legal reasons). A future version of the CodeBreaker will likely fix this problem. For now, there is no fix for this on your unit.

btw if you want tu tranfer your save game to usb device you can use ULE

coco-dess
03-06-2009, 08:17 AM
yup you right that why i ask his ps2 version

if your ps2 SCPH-75001 or higher no they never will update usb driver for codebreaker
read this
from codetwink

btw if you want tu tranfer your save game to usb device you can use ULE

uLaunchElf? can u give me the link on how to? thanks. btw, the codebreaker runs, but it is VERY SLOW.

greyfox
03-06-2009, 03:27 PM
download here

SKS Apps - Exploit Systems - Wii Ps3 Ps2 Apps - Homebrew Game Downloads - Forums (http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=launchers.html)

see tutorial

SKS Apps - Exploit Systems - Wii Ps3 Ps2 Apps - Homebrew Game Downloads - Forums (http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=tutorials.html)

dlanor
03-07-2009, 04:55 AM
uLaunchElf? can u give me the link on how to? thanks. btw, the codebreaker runs, but it is VERY SLOW.
CodeBreaker does run even with a USB device connected on a slim PStwo, this much is true, but even the expression 'VERY SLOW' is insufficient to describe how horribly slow it is. It took me over 5 minutes just to see the first normal splash screen, and going beyond that is just not meaningful. There is absolutely no sensible way of using any program at so slow a speed.

Also, this has nothing to do with what type of USB device you connect, as it will react this way to any device at all (not just memory sticks but also KB, mouse and hubs).

Finally: You need to check and report the 'date code' of your PS2, or the bios version number, so as to determine whether or not your console is compatible with FMCB at all, since Sony removed this compatibility by changing the bios in the most recent model.

The bios version number is the most definite way of checking, though it requires you to somehow start a homebrew program on your own PS2 (eg: borrow SwapMagic discs or similar). Then you can run uLaunchELF and use the FileBrowser command "MISC/Debug Info" which will display (with some other stuff) the rom0:ROMVER file from the bios, the first four characters of which show the bios version.

"0220" == bios v2.20 == FMCB compatible
"0230" == bios v2.30 == not able to use FMCB

If you are not able to check it this way, then you need to look for the date code on your PS2 label.

Less than 8B == definitely FMCB compatible
8B == Second quarter of 2008 == Probably has bios v2.20, so should be FMCB compatible
8C == Third quarter of 2008 == Probably has bios v2.30, and is then not FMCB compatible
More than 8C == definitely not able to use FMCB

Sorry about the vagueness about 8B/8C codes, but I'm not certain if bios chips and outer covers (containing the label) always follow suit perfectly.

If it turns out that you do have bios v2.30, then you must give up on FMCB as it is impossible to use it with that bios versions, and your best bet for running homebrews is then to use SwapMagic discs instead. These can be used to boot homebrew stuff either from MC or from USB devices, so they only require the CDVD drive to be used briefly at boot time.

Best regards: dlanor

coco-dess
03-07-2009, 11:45 AM
CodeBreaker does run even with a USB device connected on a slim PStwo, this much is true, but even the expression 'VERY SLOW' is insufficient to describe how horribly slow it is. It took me over 5 minutes just to see the first normal splash screen, and going beyond that is just not meaningful. There is absolutely no sensible way of using any program at so slow a speed.

Also, this has nothing to do with what type of USB device you connect, as it will react this way to any device at all (not just memory sticks but also KB, mouse and hubs).

Finally: You need to check and report the 'date code' of your PS2, or the bios version number, so as to determine whether or not your console is compatible with FMCB at all, since Sony removed this compatibility by changing the bios in the most recent model.

The bios version number is the most definite way of checking, though it requires you to somehow start a homebrew program on your own PS2 (eg: borrow SwapMagic discs or similar). Then you can run uLaunchELF and use the FileBrowser command "MISC/Debug Info" which will display (with some other stuff) the rom0:ROMVER file from the bios, the first four characters of which show the bios version.

"0220" == bios v2.20 == FMCB compatible
"0230" == bios v2.30 == not able to use FMCB

If you are not able to check it this way, then you need to look for the date code on your PS2 label.

Less than 8B == definitely FMCB compatible
8B == Second quarter of 2008 == Probably has bios v2.20, so should be FMCB compatible
8C == Third quarter of 2008 == Probably has bios v2.30, and is then not FMCB compatible
More than 8C == definitely not able to use FMCB

Sorry about the vagueness about 8B/8C codes, but I'm not certain if bios chips and outer covers (containing the label) always follow suit perfectly.

If it turns out that you do have bios v2.30, then you must give up on FMCB as it is impossible to use it with that bios versions, and your best bet for running homebrews is then to use SwapMagic discs instead. These can be used to boot homebrew stuff either from MC or from USB devices, so they only require the CDVD drive to be used briefly at boot time.

my friend has a swapmagic, can i borrow it to him?
and do swapmagic needs a fliptop? or something else?
is a modded PS2 enough?

Tarkan
03-07-2009, 11:53 AM
with a modded PS2 why do you need a Swap magic anyway ?

but i might miss something in your info because i dont have much info what do you have ..

blades_neenee
03-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Isn't swapmagic more used in PS1's? I could be thinking something else totally though.:ohno:

djflexmaster79
03-07-2009, 01:46 PM
What I'm getting from this guys posts he is trying to get codebreaker to use and install FMCB? If that's the case yes it is possible, to use it to install FMCB, I have done it myself, and so have many others.

If he is wanting it to use cheats, that's is also possible.
FMCB, does just the same as Swap Magic, but without the swapping.

Swap Magic came in two disk sets, one to Swap CD's based PS2 games, and one to swap DVD based games.

As for swapping and Playing a PS1 backup you could use BREAKER PRO, but that is getting pretty scarce to find.

I use the sensor mod myself on my slim Ver.15 and use the PSXlauncher.ELF an swap method to play my PS1 backups, well don't play them much anymore, but sometimes break out the old school Castlevania SOTN game.

blades_neenee
03-07-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm having issues finding the tut for how to add the cheats to my HDD for my Blood Rayne game....BladeDreams only told me to "look" for them....I mean dayum....I found the download for CodeBreaker, but that's as far as I've gotten. My eyes are hurtin....:ohno:

*Edit*

He actually did tell me everything to do, but rattles off all of it soo fast that I can't write it down, so then
I'm here buggin er'one.....

dlanor
03-07-2009, 02:40 PM
my friend has a swapmagic, can i borrow it to him?
How would I know that ?
You'll have to ask him yourself If you can borrow it.
But if you can borrow it then you can easily use it for the uLaunchELF test.

For this you first format a USB device (memory stick or USB HDD) to FAT32 format, and then create a folder named exactly "SWAPMAGIC" (excluding the quotes) in the root directory, and inside that folder you then store the uLaunchELF elf file (originally named "BOOT.ELF"), but rename it to exactly "SWAPMAGIC.ELF" (excluding the quotes). All of this work can be done on a normal Windows PC.

Next you use the 'Safe removal' method to disconnect that USB device from the PC, and instead connect it to your PS2, after which you insert the SwapMagic disc into the PS2 disc tray and start/reset the console.

This will start uLaunchELF, and you can then enter its FileBrowser and use its "MISC/Debug Info" subprogram to check the bios version.

and do swapmagic needs a fliptop? or something else?
For disc booting SM needs a fliptop on fat PS2 consoles or a 'sensor mod' on a slim PStwo console, but for USB booting nothing special is needed except the boot disc (either the CD or DVD version will do).

is a modded PS2 enough?
With a modded PS2 you can also do many things, including the FMCB installation itself, but the test I spoke of needs to be done on your own console, not someone else's. Otherwise it is the bios version of the other guy's console you will see, which is not what you want.

However, there is a strong likelihood that your SCPH-9000x console will have bios v2.30, and in that case you will need either SwapMagic discs or a modchip of your own, since it will then be impossible to use FMCB on your console. So you had better be prepared for this possible outcome.

djflexmaster79
03-07-2009, 02:41 PM
hey I got a tutorial here of pictures on how to add codes " .cbc " files to your codebreaker...

SKSApps.com - Console Apps - Gaming (http://forums.sksapps.com/attachments/cheats-codes/813d1232489949-few-question-adding-day-1-files-codebreaker.rar)

DJ

dlanor
03-07-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm having issues finding the tut for how to add the cheats to my HDD for my Blood Rayne game....BladeDreams only told me to "look" for them....I mean dayum....I found the download for CodeBreaker, but that's as far as I've gotten. My eyes are hurtin....:ohno:

*Edit*

He actually did tell me everything to do, but rattles off all of it soo fast that I can't write it down, so then
I'm here buggin er'one.....
Are you posting in the right thread ?
The subject here has nothing to do with 'Blood Rayne', and I can't find any post by BladeDreams in here...

blades_neenee
03-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Are you posting in the right thread ?
The subject here has nothing to do with 'Blood Rayne', and I can't find any post by BladeDreams in here...

BladeDreams and I are close friends. He told me what to do over the phone but when he rattles, I can't write that fast, so I miss alot of it.

He did say, somewhere on SKS, that there's a tutorial on how to use codebreaker, install cheats using it without a laser(mine died), and then how to use them with the game.

I just haven't found it yet.

dlanor
03-09-2009, 10:53 AM
BladeDreams and I are close friends. He told me what to do over the phone but when he rattles, I can't write that fast, so I miss alot of it.

He did say, somewhere on SKS, that there's a tutorial on how to use codebreaker, install cheats using it without a laser(mine died), and then how to use them with the game.

I just haven't found it yet.
If you can't find the information you need by your own searching, then make a new post with your inquiry for help, instead of hijacking an existing thread unrelated to your subject.

People scanning this forum will mainly see the original titles of each thread, so your inquiry post will not attract help from the right people when hiding inside an unrelated thread. But when you make a new thread you get to create the title for it, so that people can see it even without having entered the thread. This will help getting more positive responses.

raikage3320
03-10-2009, 07:28 AM
well how about we get back on topic cause i have a problem that is similar to this

well when i use my cracked cb9.2 elf i was trying to use it to add some codes for nfs most wanted to unlock some cars that are normally unable to be used accept on like 1 or 2 races and i had put my flash drive in the ps2 and well sometimes the codebreaker notices it and others it doesnt but when it does when i have it look in it so i can have it get the codes it shows that the flash drive is empty

for more info that might be useful i have used the following flash drives to try to transfer data to it

a geek squad 4 gig
sandisk micro 256k and 512k
and a pny atache 2gig u3 drive
i have also used an ipod mini 4 gig

i had also had this same problem when i was using a retail cb10

dlanor
03-21-2009, 03:38 AM
well how about we get back on topic cause i have a problem that is similar to this

well when i use my cracked cb9.2 elf i was trying to use it to add some codes for nfs most wanted to unlock some cars that are normally unable to be used accept on like 1 or 2 races and i had put my flash drive in the ps2 and well sometimes the codebreaker notices it and others it doesnt but when it does when i have it look in it so i can have it get the codes it shows that the flash drive is empty

for more info that might be useful i have used the following flash drives to try to transfer data to it

a geek squad 4 gig
sandisk micro 256k and 512k
and a pny atache 2gig u3 drive
i have also used an ipod mini 4 gig

i had also had this same problem when i was using a retail cb10
I know this reply was long in coming, but I'm just back after being absent a while...

Since you've had the same problem with several units it could be due to how those units were formatted and how the files were stored on them.

Most PS2 software, both commercial and homebrew, expect a USB storage device to have only one single partition, and this should preferably be formatted as FAT32. NTFS format should always be avoided, as most PS2 software is unable to access it.

Properly formatted the SanDisk unit is probably your best bet. I have four such units myself that work fine with my consoles (2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB), but some of them did not work at all with PS2 consoles, due to the extra partition for the 'u3 launchpad' software. That needed to be removed, which I did using special tools for that purpose found on the SanDisk home site. Never use such tools from other sites as those may be outdated for your USB device, with corruption possibly resulting. (This happened to me, changing my 8GB to less than 2GB accessible, which took some serious work to correct.)

The ipod unit is probably your worst bet, as most people trying those report failure in getting them to work with any PS2 software. (I don't have any ipod myself though...)