SKSApps.com - Console Applications - Gaming

Go Back   SKSApps.com - Console Applications - Gaming > Playstation 2 > News!

News Forums HardDrive List Ps2 Apps Ps3 Apps Wii Apps Skins Arcade

Search Site

News! Latest Ps2 Apps!

#21 Old 09-30-2008, 01:45 PM
JNABK
Forum GOD

I still prefer mine off the USB, i havent had any issues with 'good' roms yet. I havent noticed any real differences with USB vs HDD loading. The problems are mainly with the save states from HDD. I did have some freezing from HDD with long playing times.
Maybe try a different USB device if your having problems.

Sponsored Links

#22 Old 09-30-2008, 04:57 PM
dlanor

Rep Power: 48 dlanor has a spectacular aura aboutdlanor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNABK View Post
I still prefer mine off the USB, i havent had any issues with 'good' roms yet.
IMO USB is excellent for older console emulator use, as the rom files are fairly small, so low speed doesn't matter much, and the emulator can normally read the entire rom file into ram, which makes all future access to it independent of the media it came from. So then the only media dependent delay is when starting the game.

Quote:
I havent noticed any real differences with USB vs HDD loading.
For small files unrelated overhead costs can often consume more time than the file transfer itself. And HDD causes one of the worst 'overhead' delays of all media, as the disk will normally spin-down during long emulator game sessions, causing a huge spin-up delay the next time you need to access the HDD.

Quote:
The problems are mainly with the save states from HDD.
Exactly, because continuous 'rom' access does not use the HDD, so it will always spin-down after a time, and then you will get a spin-up delay for each savestate access, assuming that you play long enough between them for the HDD to spin-down again.

For this kind of operation a USB HDD would be much faster (if it doesn't have similar spin-down effects), or even a fast USB stick.

Quote:
I did have some freezing from HDD with long playing times.
Are you sure it was a real freeze ?

Sometime the spin-up delays seem prolonged (possibly because some spin-up test fails marginally the first time), and then it can seem as if the console is frozen though it may 'thaw out' again if you just wait long enough (like a minute or so).

Btw: You get the same spin-up delay in many HDL games too, if you stay in one menu too long, for the rendition of which the game holds everything in RAM. Then when you exit that menu the game needs to access the emulated disc again, causing the spin-up. But for PS2 games the need for continuous fast transfer makes HDD far superior to USB, regardless of the spin up delays.

Quote:
Maybe try a different USB device if your having problems.
There can be a huge speed difference with various devices, and older memory sticks are often very slow even for reading. And the write speed is usually much lower than the read speed.

Best regards: dlanor

#23 Old 09-30-2008, 08:32 PM
JNABK
Forum GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlanor
Quote:
I did have some freezing from HDD with long playing times.
Are you sure it was a real freeze ?

Sometime the spin-up delays seem prolonged (possibly because some spin-up test fails marginally the first time), and then it can seem as if the console is frozen though it may 'thaw out' again if you just wait long enough (like a minute or so).
oh yea, im sure it was a real freeze....more than 10 mins went by before my daughter decided something was wrong. She had been playing for several hrs, only saving once in a while. But since making her use a USB stick {1GB }, there hasnt been a problem......yet. Well, now she has no choice, since she has a V16 Slim of her own and cant use the HDD anymore.

#24 Old 12-26-2008, 05:10 PM
oleguer

I use ps2 (no pstwo, not slim) with the hdd in an using the ethernet port....
I think that snestation need are only one modification and this is the route to search the roms because this app search on all HDD (included isos) and other devices (usb, cdrom) for this the emulator lost too much time to load... The modification are next any people can create folder using uLaunchElf and this folder are the next dir on hdd emulator "Hdd0:+(NAMEFOLDER)" if anyone can modified the all routes to search and create only one route of search the loading time are too slow, however this only run on internal hdd, other option is that emulator create a file on memory card to reminder the roms (that ocurred in hdloader the first loading are too slow but the other are more quickly) I try to help all and me THX & sorry for bad english

Tags
snes, station, updates