SKSApps.com - Console Applications - Gaming

Go Back   SKSApps.com - Console Applications - Gaming > Playstation 3 > Ps3 General

News Forums HardDrive List Ps2 Apps Ps3 Apps Wii Apps Skins Arcade

Search Site

Ps3 General Upgrades, News, Updates, All Ps3 Stuff.

#1 Old 02-20-2013, 10:45 PM
windrider
Donator

Rep Power: 27 windrider will become famous soon enoughwindrider will become famous soon enough

Default 3k3y Review by modrobert

You may have to sign up to read full posts

Code:
http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&topic=6859&forum=99
Quote:
First part of my review:

I know it's probably a bit biased coming from me, but can't help liking 3k3y, a lot. The whole idea of pure gaming without relying on any game patches, peek/poke or backup loaders. Just update whenever Sony want you to, play games and enjoy PSN/SEN.

Basic functionality so far has been on par with with xkey, and the install was easier overall (mainly because the case opens easier on PS3).

Technically 3k3y is a really impressive ODE design where the focus is on proper emulation, right where it should be. The developers of 3k3y (and Xkey) really knows their stuff, and that excellence shines through the whole product.

The ISO dumping part might come of as negative to some, not currently being able to use/convert PSJB backups. To me it's just another confirmation that compatibility and proper emulation is the most important part.

I read that Cobra ODE will offer a PSJB conversion tool, I think the only way to pull that off is to store data online somewhere, and let the conversion tool access that data for each title when the user want to convert, or by including the data in the tool. This part will most likely be obfuscated in the tool, but I suspect you will be able to notice when new game titles fail and the tool needs frequent updating or constant internet connection. That said, it will be interesting to see what they come up with, I have great respect for the Cobra Team and their products.

The E3 announcement of the PS3 glitcher (and their ODE module) sounds almost too good to be true, and if real it will make it possible to get the drive keys on any PS3 model, regardless of OFW version.

Right now the only big drawback I see is that 3k3y is not supporting all PS3 models, but I really believe it will be soon. Keep in mind it is easy to add support for all PS3 models when it's just some text in a feature list of an upcoming product, but not so easy to implement when it comes to actual hardware.

If you are using this information to compare and figure out what product to buy, then I can recommend 3k3y. Mainly because the 3k3y team have a lot of experience with ODE products, all the way back to WODE for Wii, then Xkey, and it is the only ODE device released for PS3 so far.

BTW: Almost forgot to mention that the first batch of Ripp3r samples sent for review have the LEDs soldered in the wrong direction, so they don't light up, however, it doesn't affect ripping functionality. Thanks goes to emu_kidid for reminding me to mention this.

I noticed last night that you enable "Pass-through mode" in 3k3y by just having a game disc in the drive when booting the PS3 (not by powering up using eject button like xk3y on Xbox 360.)

Sponsored Links

Tags
3k3y, modrobert, review