SKSApps.com - Console Applications - Gaming

Go Back   SKSApps.com - Console Applications - Gaming > Playstation 2 > Swap Magic
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Forums HardDrive List Ps2 Apps Ps3 Apps Wii Apps Skins Arcade

Search Site / Google

Swap Magic Not to much support. But Easy way to get hdloader and an exploit going!

Closed Thread

#1 Old 07-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Joshrawr
Final Fantasy Legend

Default Best way to install Free MCBoot?

Hey guys, i'm new to modding the ps2 and i was wondering what would be the best way for me to install Free MC Boot.

I have a ps2 slim 70003 with Swap Magic V2.00 and I have also modded it so i am able to swap discs successfully.

I am unable to install FMCB from a usb as SM v2.00 doesn't support USB as far as I am aware.

Is there any ISO for SM3.6 or 3.8 that is useable?

What is the best way for me to install Free MC Boot?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

#2 Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 AM
dlanor

Rep Power: 46 dlanor has a spectacular aura aboutdlanor has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Best way to install Free MCBoot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshrawr View Post
Hey guys, i'm new to modding the ps2 and i was wondering what would be the best way for me to install Free MC Boot.

I have a ps2 slim 70003 with Swap Magic V2.00 and I have also modded it so i am able to swap discs successfully.

I am unable to install FMCB from a usb as SM v2.00 doesn't support USB as far as I am aware.
That is not a problem, as you don't need to have SwapMagic access the USB drive by itself. Instead you burn a bootable disc with a homebrew program on it that can do that job properly.

Quote:
Is there any ISO for SM3.6 or 3.8 that is useable?
Not to my knowledge. When those programs are used from homebrews they are mostly used in the form of loose elf files, not boot disc ISOs.

Quote:
What is the best way for me to install Free MC Boot?
For your case the best method should be to download a boot disc ISO for uLaunchELF (aka: uLE), which you then burn and boot (just like swapping a game backup) so you get uLE running on your console.

Then you can use the uLE FileBrowser to launch the FMCB installer as part of the 'noobie' installation package that you should have prepared on a USB drive. So that is the other thing you need to prepare in addition to the uLE boot disc, before starting the installation of FMCB to your MC.

Some people have complained about problems using the CD boot ISO for uLE, so you might be better off trying the DVD ISO instead.

Best regards: dlanor

#3 Old 07-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Joshrawr
Final Fantasy Legend

Thanks for the reply.
I have burned the dvd iso to a DVD-r and tried loading it with swap magic.
When I press X i get an instant pink border round the screen.

I burned using a TDK DVD-r at 2x speed in DVD Decrypter
Any ideas?

#4 Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 PM
dlanor

Rep Power: 46 dlanor has a spectacular aura aboutdlanor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
I have burned the dvd iso to a DVD-r and tried loading it with swap magic.
When I press X i get an instant pink border round the screen.
Just to double-check, I assume you did this starting with the DVD disc of SwapMagic. Right ?

You can also try downloading the CD ISO, and try swapping to that, after booting with the CD disc of SwapMagic of course. Though some others reported failure at that, this may have been due to other reasons, not applying to your setup. It's worth trying anyway, if you can spare a blank CD-R.

Come to think of it, there are a few different uLE ISOs in circulation, so exactly which one did you try ?
Perhaps you should try downloading another one.

Quote:
I burned using a TDK DVD-r at 2x speed in DVD Decrypter
If that usually works for you, then I guess it might be OK.
But 2x is one of the worst speeds you can use with modern high quality discs. (only 1x is worse)
Modern discs were not designed to be burned so slowly, and doing it that way leads to worsened readability (like an overexposed photograph makes it harder to see details).

Quote:
Any ideas?
Apart from the above, none. The process of swapping is not something I am good at guiding you in, since I never do it myself.

#5 Old 07-14-2010, 05:38 AM
Joshrawr
Final Fantasy Legend

Ahh I burned at 12x and it works like a charm.
Thanks ever so much.

I don't suppose you know how I update uLaunchELF to the latest version now i have it installed along with FMCB?
Many thanks

#6 Old 07-14-2010, 06:10 AM
Tarkan
M82

Hulk Smashup Champion!

i think its already has the latest version

if not then if you are using Noobie package then replace the BOOT.ELF(uLE) located in INSTALL Folder with the Latest uLE (BOOT.ELF).

#7 Old 07-14-2010, 10:44 AM
dlanor

Quote:
Ahh I burned at 12x and it works like a charm.
Thanks ever so much.

I don't suppose you know how I update uLaunchELF to the latest version now i have it installed along with FMCB?
Nothing could be easier, assuming that you know how to copy files with the uLE FileBrowser (there are tutorials in "PS2 Apps" here at SKSApps).

You just download the latest release of uLaunchELF and then use the Copy+Paste commands of the uLE FileBrowser to transfer the new "BOOT.ELF" file into the folder named "BOOT" on your MC, so that it replaces the old "BOOT.ELF" file that you got by installing the FMCB package.

For such copying it is often best to first copy the file to a USB drive on your PC, and then move that drive to the PS2 for copying to MC as described above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkan View Post
i think its already has the latest version
That is not likely since I made a new release just a few days ago.

Quote:
if not then if you are using Noobie package then replace the BOOT.ELF(uLE) located in INSTALL Folder with the Latest uLE (BOOT.ELF).
This method is INCORRECT for someone who just wants to update the installation already made by using a new "BOOT.ELF" file. Changing contents of the INSTALL folder of the noobie package has absolutely no influence on an installation already made. It will only affect future installations made with that INSTALL folder. And with FMCB already working it would be a waste of time and effort to repeat the installation just to update an elf file.

For updating uLE in an FMCB installation already working, it is only necessary to replace the "BOOT.ELF" file inside the "BOOT" folder of the memory card. Nothing else needs to be done.

#8 Old 07-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Tarkan
M82

Hulk Smashup Champion!

Quote:
That is not likely since I made a new release just a few days ago.
ohh yeah thought JNABK also updated the noobie package .

Quote:
This method is INCORRECT for someone who just wants to update the installation already made by using a new "BOOT.ELF" file. Changing contents of the INSTALL folder of the noobie package has absolutely no influence on an installation already made. It will only affect future installations made with that INSTALL folder. And with FMCB already working it would be a waste of time and effort to repeat the installation just to update an elf file.
damn it i missed that part when he said i have installed FMCB .

thought he is gunna install it .

sorry my mistakes

#9 Old 07-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Joshrawr
Final Fantasy Legend

Thanks for all your help guys, i have Free MCBoot working wonderfully.

Can lock this thread now.

#10 Old 07-18-2010, 12:37 PM
JNABK
Forum GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkan View Post
ohh yeah thought JNABK also updated the noobie package .
No, i have been slacking in my 'updating duties", home life has become much more demanding in the past 6 months. So much more of my time is consumed with home and work. I will try to update things when i get the chance to do so.

Quote:

Can lock this thread now.
...as you wish.

Closed Thread

Tags
free, install, mcboot