Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 66
Free McBoot 1.6 with Usb HDD on fat ps2 - SKSApps.com - Console Applications - Gaming
SKSApps.com - Console Applications - Gaming

Go Back   SKSApps.com - Console Applications - Gaming > Playstation 2 > Hard Drive
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Forums HardDrive List Ps2 Apps Ps3 Apps Wii Apps Skins Arcade

Search Site / Google

Hard Drive HDLoader, HDAdvance, UsbExtreme, UsbAdvance, Linux, BB Navi, and Anything to do with the HD!

#1 Old 08-16-2008, 03:18 PM
wrk13s

Default Free McBoot 1.6 with Usb HDD on fat ps2

Hi Guys i am having a bit of trouble understanding the tools needed to run a usb hard drive, has i have 5 or so of these laying around due to my job.

first some back ground information
PS2 - Fat version
Memory Card 8 meg.
Swap Magic 3.6
Region : PAL / Australia.

I have been reading through
bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/en_swapmagic.htm

i understand i have to do that tutorial before i do this one
bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/FMCB_install_guide.html

(Sorry i can post links because it is my first post)

But the part i am stuck on is the hdloader, If i download USBADVN.zip from SKSApps download section, and put the USBADVN.ELF in the install folder when i goto configure free McBoot, will this work ?
provided i follow this httx://sksapps.com/index.php?page=usbadvance.html tutorial.

If not what can i do ensure i get this to work, or is it not worth and just go and buy the network adapter if i can get one.

I figured i would ask because i have been reading for hours and that is the best solution i came up with, it is hard to follow peoples questions because so many people jump into peoples post and post their questions and you lose track of what the actual problem was. so any help and advise would be great. TNA from psx-scene was great help but i would rather post a questions.

thanks in advanced for help.
wrk13s

Sponsored Links

#2 Old 08-16-2008, 04:24 PM
JNABK
Forum GOD

Default Re: Free McBoot 1.6 with Usb HDD on fat ps2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk13s View Post

But the part i am stuck on is the hdloader, If i download USBADVN.zip from SKSApps download section, and put the USBADVN.ELF in the install folder when i goto configure free McBoot, will this work ?
provided i follow this httx://sksapps.com/index.php?page=usbadvance.html tutorial.
HDLoader is a different program {and the original Hard Drive loading app} from USB Advance. HDloader uses an internal IDE HDD placed inside the expansion bay on a Fat console, while USB Advance uses an attached USB HDD. Those are not compatible with each other and cannot be used intermixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk13s View Post
If not what can i do ensure i get this to work, or is it not worth and just go and buy the network adapter if i can get one.

thanks in advanced for help.
wrk13s
Overall it is better to get the Network Adapter and an IDE HDD, as the USB method is not nearly as compatible on games as the IDE {HDLOADER} method is.

But you can still use USB if thats your choice, just include the USBADVN.ELF in the install, but you will need to configure your Free Mcboot to run it, or simply use uLaunchELF {BOOT.ELF} to launch it once you have followed the tutorial you mentioned above for it.

So here what you do:
IDE HDD playing
Install Free McBoot with the HDLOADER.ELF included in the INSTALL folder {or just copy it with uLaunchELF if you installed already}

This app will automatically apear in the Sony main menu and can also be launched while holding the L1 button on startup.

Follow the Winhiip tutorial to prepare the HDD for use in the PS2.

USB HDD playing
Install Free McBoot with the USBADVN.ELF included {or just copy it with uLaunchELF if you installed already}

This will need to be configured for Free McBoot or even uLaunchELF to run it via a button press.

Follow the USB Advance tutorial to prepare the USB HDD for use in the PS2.

#3 Old 08-17-2008, 12:04 AM
wrk13s

Hi JNABK, thanks for the reply there. so the best bet and simplest way would be to get network adapter hmm ok now to find one on. i did goto eb games in australia to find but they said they no longer stock them, am i able to get a ps2 network adapter from say the usa or europe or does it have to be for pal system only ?

#4 Old 08-17-2008, 09:53 AM
JNABK
Forum GOD

Im not 100% sure , but as far as i know there is no region specific Network Adapter, so any should work. Someone please correct if im wrong.

#5 Old 08-17-2008, 10:42 AM
dlanor

Rep Power: 46 dlanor has a spectacular aura aboutdlanor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNABK View Post
Im not 100% sure , but as far as i know there is no region specific Network Adapter, so any should work. Someone please correct if im wrong.
I believe you are correct.

There are some regional differencies, as some US network adaptors came with a built-in modem connector in addition to the normal ethernet connector. But as far as I know those network adaptors also work with european PS2 consoles. (Though I never tried it myself.)

Best regards: dlanor

#6 Old 08-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Bootlegninja
Look at 'em go!

Coyote Roll Champion!
Rep Power: 131 Bootlegninja will become famous soon enoughBootlegninja will become famous soon enough

hdd-wise, they will work, but as for online puposes, they are mainly meant for the region they are sold in as far as I know.

Bootlegninja - Doing shit the wrong way for the right reasons online since 2005.
And still throwing two middle fingers up cause I don't give a fu*k!

#7 Old 08-17-2008, 03:31 PM
wrk13s

guys thanks for all the help, i will just buy a network adapter from the the states or where ever i can find it on ebay, i guess. or does anyone know of a site that i can get this that would be fantastic.

i am not worried about playing online, aslong as i can network this to my home network and follow all the guys to dump stuff over the network to the ps2.

cheers
w

#8 Old 08-18-2008, 11:18 PM
wrk13s

why did i find this now.
http://www.xcmlive.com/cgi-bin/xcmli...N%202-MODCHIPS
it would have saved me heaps of time.

#9 Old 08-20-2008, 02:34 AM
wrk13s

ok guys i had some problems but i manged to some sneaky things
i had huge issues with the ps2 not liking my usb memory sticks, so i mad a usb memory loader out of 2.5 inch hdd and it worked like a treat. thanks for everyone's help, i am going to run with the usb hdd game option at present as my network adapter has not yet arrived from america to australia.

Tags
fat, free, hdd, mcboot, ps2, usb