SKSApps.com - Console Applications - Gaming

Go Back   SKSApps.com - Console Applications - Gaming > Playstation 2 > Free McBoot
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Forums HardDrive List Ps2 Apps Ps3 Apps Wii Apps Skins Arcade

Search Site / Google

Free McBoot Discuss all things for Free McBoot here.

#1 Old 07-06-2009, 10:20 PM
NickyScars

Question FMCB NOOB ~ Installer issue

Hello, I'm having a tad bit of trouble getting started with FMCB Noobie install. My goal is to have a working IDE HD in my PS2 w/ NES, SNES, Sega and Atari.. stuff.

I have a couple fat PS2 systems, one with a Duo chip. I have a 80 gig IDE HD, network adaptor, Sony MC, USB flash drives.

I created a bootable PS2 disc with the INSTALL folder and FREE_MCBOOT.ELF from the Noobie_Package using CDgenPS2. I create a ISO file name imagen.

The ISO burns and loads in the PS2. FMCB loads, FMCB will format the memory card, however, when I install FMCB to the MC I get 2 errors #1 "No USBHDFSD.IRX or USBD.IRX found in MODULES folder", then #2 "No BOOT.ELF". I have tried burning about 8 disc now all with the same effect.

I have said OK and continued the FMCB install to the MC anyway.

Something of FMCB still loaded to the MC. I have the MC plugged into the un-modded PS2 with these options on the menu:
Browser
System Configuration
Launch disc
Reload configuration

.... thats it, thats all I have and stuck there. The hard drive is installed, how do I use it or can I?

Did those errors above mean anything since something still loaded?

Whats the next step to SNES station and others?

Please help

Sponsored Links

#2 Old 07-07-2009, 10:15 AM
JNABK
Forum GOD

Default Re: FMCB NOOB ~ Installer issue

Yes those errors meant it didnt install uLaunchELF or any of the other recommended apps. It also means it didnt install the USB driver making FMCB unable to use a USB device to boot any apps from.
Try placing the INSTALL folder on a USB stick, then the FMCB installer will read from the USB and use the files from there.

#3 Old 07-07-2009, 01:55 PM
ThunderBolt

I've read somewhere that a chip in your ps2 can affect FMCB install. Suggests you disable or remove.

Purely reading though as I'm still wrestling to get my FMCB in shape!!!

#4 Old 07-08-2009, 02:50 AM
dlanor

Rep Power: 46 dlanor has a spectacular aura aboutdlanor has a spectacular aura about

This problem is typical for some modchips with a 'sleep mode' (used to hide it from anti-modchip checks in commercial games).

Such a chip will allow the installer to boot up, but when the drivers of the installer need to initialize themselves the chip will already be in sleep mode, so the new CDVD driver will not be able to access the disc. Thus none of the additional stuff in "INSTALL/" is installed, but only the stuff embedded inside the installer elf.

Best regards: dlanor

#5 Old 07-14-2009, 03:34 PM
NickyScars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNABK View Post
Yes those errors meant it didnt install uLaunchELF or any of the other recommended apps. It also means it didnt install the USB driver making FMCB unable to use a USB device to boot any apps from.
Try placing the INSTALL folder on a USB stick, then the FMCB installer will read from the USB and use the files from there.
Thanks for the tip, tried that but nothing seems to read from the USB. Getting the same effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBolt View Post
I've read somewhere that a chip in your ps2 can affect FMCB install. Suggests you disable or remove.

Purely reading though as I'm still wrestling to get my FMCB in shape!!!
Thinking it must have something to do with the modchip. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlanor View Post
This problem is typical for some modchips with a 'sleep mode' (used to hide it from anti-modchip checks in commercial games).

Such a chip will allow the installer to boot up, but when the drivers of the installer need to initialize themselves the chip will already be in sleep mode, so the new CDVD driver will not be able to access the disc. Thus none of the additional stuff in "INSTALL/" is installed, but only the stuff embedded inside the installer elf.

Best regards: dlanor
I have 2 systems with chips. 1 is chipped with a Duo3 and the other is a Apple.

The Duo3 has a sleep function and that is the system I have been trying to use without any luck. The Apple chip does not have a sleep but I cant get that thing to read a CD-R to save my life.

Is it just a fact that the tools I have are not the right ones for this job? I do not mind buying a modded card but that takes the fun out of this, i'd really like to do this myself.

Sorry for being such a noob, I am greatful for all the help thank you.

#6 Old 07-14-2009, 06:34 PM
noetikos
Donator

Rep Power: 57 noetikos has a spectacular aura aboutnoetikos has a spectacular aura aboutnoetikos has a spectacular aura about

@nickyscars: well, i've been googleling with for searches for "disabling" or "turning off" your apple 75k chip but i've come here empty handed. fmcb is so much like a modchip which has certain advantages but it gives you the headache of modifying ps2 disc images for patching or for rebuilding ps2 disc images for ESR compatibility (ESR is the program that auto-boots ps2 back ups without the need for swapping).

so let's start out with a process of elimination here.

1. before you try to attempt anything else, follow the tip that JNABK suggested previously. the FMCB 1.8 noobie package comes with everything that is needed. download the fmcb noobie package here on the site at /ps2 apps/exploits.

for this you will need a USB stick and place the INSTALL folder and the FREE_MCBOOT.ELF in the root directory of your usb device. use uLaunchELF to access the install fmcb_mcboot.elf to run it. i compiled and uploaded this noobie package here for you ready to install,

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

2. if the first method didn't work then i'd suggest that go over the modchips general instructions to learn what settings you need to initiate by pressing a button command on your controller or by pressing/hold the reset button to disable the chip.

if not then your last solution would be to go and get a copper desoldering braid/wick at radio shack for $3 bucks so that you can safely remove the chip from your mobo using a soldering iron.

tutorial:YouTube - How to Solder : Removing Solder

3. if not then you can mail in your cards to me and i can install fmcb for you but it is possible that you will have compatibility conflicts between the softmod and the chip.

Need help? Please use the forums, not my PM inbox.

#7 Old 07-14-2009, 07:20 PM
NickyScars

#1 Yes, I have tried that already with no luck. I only get the following options after I put anything on my MC..
Browser
System Configuration
Launch disc
Reload configuration

I do not have a uLaunch option.

#2 I have 3 systems sitting here, all fat, 2 chipped, 1 untouched. Why will none of my PS2s read from the USB ports?

I do not want to use FMCB with either of my modded systems. I have just been using the chipped PS2 systems to boot the burnd disc I made with CDGenPS2 so that I could transfer the info to the memory card.

#8 Old 07-14-2009, 07:30 PM
djflexmaster79
Bad Ass Moderator

Gold Miner Champion! Patriotic Slotsnew Game Champion!
Rep Power: 62 djflexmaster79 has a spectacular aura aboutdjflexmaster79 has a spectacular aura aboutdjflexmaster79 has a spectacular aura about

Talking Re: FMCB NOOB ~ Installer issue

What brand of USB thumb drives are you using?

And are you sure you have all the correct files on your USB drive?
= BOOT.ELF (ULaunch),SMS.ELF,ESR.ELF ?

And you said you are able to read burned disks with your modded one, why don't you try the ULaunch DVD.ISO, or ULaunch CD.ISO?

And try and run the installer from that method.... DJ

Useful Videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/djflexmaster79)
FMCB TUTORIALS >http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=fmcb.html< FMCB TUTORIALS
Those who quit never succeed and Those who succeed never quit."DJ 2009"

#9 Old 07-14-2009, 07:41 PM
NickyScars

WOOT! We have a modded card!!

I made a bootable PS2 disc with the noob package noetikos (Thanks mate!) made. Just like I was doing with the noob pack hosted here.

After I loaded the new disc the MC loaded without any trouble. Now my menu looks like this:

Browser
System Configuration
uLaunchELF
ESR
HD Loader
Simple Media System
Launch Disc
Reload Configuration
Free McBoot Configurator

I will do some more searching now to see what I need to do next before I come back buggin for help.

Again, thank you all.

#10 Old 07-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Bootlegninja
Look at 'em go!

Coyote Roll Champion!
Rep Power: 131 Bootlegninja will become famous soon enoughBootlegninja will become famous soon enough

that's what I like to see. congrats dude.

Bootlegninja - Doing shit the wrong way for the right reasons online since 2005.
And still throwing two middle fingers up cause I don't give a fu*k!

Tags
fmcb, installer, issue, noob